chocolate mint and vanilla swirl cookies
1 cup softened butter
1 cup packed brown sugar
2¼ cups flour
½ tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp peppermint extract
1 oz semi-sweet chocolate, melted and cooled
2 tbsp powdered cocoa crushed candy canes or peppermints (optional)
1. In a bowl, beat butter and brown sugar together until well blended. Beat in egg.
2. In a separate bowl, whisk flour, baking soda and salt together.
3. Add dry ingredients to wet and mix until well combined.
4. Divide dough in half. Add the vanilla to one half and mix in. Combine cocoa and melted chocolate together, then add to second half, with peppermint. Stir until well combined. If the dough is sticky, chill for 15 minutes until prior to rolling.
5. Transfer the chocolate dough to a large piece of parchment paper on a flat work surface. Cover the dough with a second piece of parchment. Roll out the dough into a rectangle 8 ½" x 11" in size. Repeat with vanilla dough.
6. Remove top pieces of parchment; invert the vanilla dough onto chocolate dough. Remove remaining parchment paper from vanilla dough. Trim edges of dough to line up together.
7. Tightly roll up dough from long side, peeling off bottom parchment as you go. When finished, wrap in parchment paper and chill at least two hours or up to 3 days. Logs can also be double wrapped in a layer of plastic and frozen for 1 month.
8. When ready to bake, preheat oven to 375°F.
9. Remove log from refrigerator, unwrap and slice into quarter-inch thick pieces.
10. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until firm to the touch. Let cool slightly on pan then roll the edges of each cookie in the crushed candy canes, if desired.
Posted by QuiltNut Creations on 11/21/2009 10:28:00 AM
Labels: snack saturday
Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)
1 love it too:
Ooo, those look yummy, I think I will have to make some.
Post a Comment