In the spring, a friend approached me about quilting a quilt. She asked the cost and I gave her a ballpark figure. A few months went by and she asked again about the quilt. That's when I discovered she wanted me to MAKE a quilt, not just quilt it. That was a whole new ballgame.
I decided I could still do the quilt for what I had originally quoted her. When I've made quilts for friends in the past, I usually don't charge much more than the cost of materials etc and in this case, I thought I would make out okay since she had asked to have the quilt made in Twilight colors; red, white and black.
She wanted a picture of Edward in the center of the quilt. I thought the easiest way to do that was to get a t-shirt with his picture on it. She bought that and than I soon realized that the color scheme we had decided on would simply not work with the t-shirt. So the fabric hunt was on.
Sadly, this was when my friend told me she couldn't pay what we had agreed on; I was less than happy and as a result, the quilt sat unmade on my table for weeks.
This past weekend, I decided enough was enough and put the quilt together. Because of the limited budget, I was stuck on how creative I could get with the quilt. I decided to do a log cabin style around the t-shirt in the middle. For each border, the sizes would be different(top/bottom borders one size, sides another).
I interfaced the back of the t-shirt and started cutting.
I started with a 2inch black border around the t-shirt; I love how it frames it!
Of course Gizmo soon came to help.
No Gizmo, it is not for you!
I quilted it up yesterday and of course I used the Twilight panto!
I'm not 100% with how it turned out. I really lost money on this which makes me sad; I do feel like my friend took advantage of me(and yes, she knows I feel this way). I do feel that I did the best that I could with the limited budget that I was given.
More importantly, she loves it.