375 mL (1 1/2 cups) all-purpose flour
125 mL (1/2 cup) cake flour
60 mL (1/4 cup) sugar
10 mL (2 teaspoons) baking powder
250 mL (1 cup) dried cranberries
60 mL (4 tablespoons [1/2 stick]) unsalted butter, chilled and cut into cubes
180 mL (3/4 cup) low fat buttermilk
1 large egg
30 mL (2 tablespoons) lemon juice
15 mL (1 tablespoon) lemon zest
Egg wash (Beat 1 egg with 5 mL [1 teaspoon] water.)
Raw sugar, to garnish
- Preheat oven to 230°C (450°F). Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder and cranberries. With a pastry cutter or fork, blend in butter until it’s pea-sized, being sure not to overwork the dough.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together buttermilk, egg, lemon juice and lemon zest. Gently fold into the flour mixture until moist crumbs form.
- Transfer mixture to a large piece of plastic wrap. Use the wrap to gather the crumbs together, then press the dough into a 2.5 cm (1”) thick disc about 12.5 cm (5”) in diameter. Peel away plastic wrap. With a sharp knife, cut the disc into 8-10 wedges.
- On the prepared baking sheet, arrange scones 2.5 cm (1”) apart. Lightly brush with egg wash and sprinkle with raw sugar. Bake until golden brown, about 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool and serve.
1 love it too:
They look so nice....I love scones I may have to make these ones..
Post a Comment