Strawberry Rhubarb Coffee Cake
- 1 1 / 4 cups chilled unsalted butter, plus more, softened, for the pan
- 1 / 4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (about 2 lemons)
- 1 / 3 cup cornstarch
- 2 3 / 4 cups sugar
- 1 pound strawberries, hulled and sliced
- 1 1 / 2 pounds rhubarb, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 3 / 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 / 2 teaspoon baking soda
- Pinch of salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1 / 2 cups buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Brush a 9x12x3-inch baking pan with butter, and set aside. Make the fruit sauce: Combine the lemon juice, cornstarch, and 1 cup sugar in a medium saucepan. Add the strawberries and rhubarb; cook, stirring frequently, over medium heat, until the rhubarb is soft and the liquid has thickened, 15 to 20 minutes. Transfer to a medium bowl; let cool.
- Make the crumb topping: Combine ¾ cup sugar and 3/ 4 cup flour in a medium bowl. Melt 1/ 4 cup butter in a small saucepan over low heat. Drizzle the butter over the flour mixture; using your hands, mix until crumbly. Set aside.
- Make the cake batter: Whisk together the remaining 3 cups flour and 1 cup sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl. Using a pastry knife or 2 forks, cut the butter into the flour mixture until it resembles coarse meal. In a separate bowl, mix the eggs, buttermilk, and vanilla. Pour into the flour mixture; stir to combine.
- Spread half the cake batter evenly into the prepared pan. Top with half the fruit sauce. Carefully spread the remaining batter over the fruit, and top with the remaining fruit sauce. Sprinkle with the crumb topping.
- Bake until the cake is golden brown and springs back when touched in the center, about 1 hour. Transfer the pan to a wire rack to cool slightly. Serve warm or at room temperature, cut into squares
2 love it too:
Will have to try that since rhubarb is great this year. Made a quick cake this morning: 2-3c. rhubarb,cut small. Put in 10"sq.pan. 1/2-2/3c.sugar-sprinkle over. Strawberry gel(dry)-1/2 pkg. over sugar. Make 1 "Jiffy" yellow cake per box and pour over. Pour 1c. heavy cream over all! Bake 350F 35-40min. May serve with "pour" cream or whipped. Always best with early rhubarb! Love all your recipes...they always are so tasty and turn out so well! Hugs, D
Y.U.M. Thank you!!!
Post a Comment