- 1/2 cup buttermilk , room temperature
- 4 large eggs , room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 16 tablespoons unsalted butter , cut into 16 pieces and softened
FOR THE CAKE:
- 1Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour two 9-inch cake pans. Whisk buttermilk, eggs, and vanilla in large measuring cup. With electric mixer on low speed, mix flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt until combined. Beat in butter, 1 piece at a time, until only pea-sized pieces remain. Pour in half of buttermilk mixture and beat over medium-high speed until light and fluffy, about 1 minute. Slowly add remaining buttermilk mixture to bowl and beat until incorporated, about 15 seconds.
- 2Scrape equal amounts of batter into prepared pans and bake until golden and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 20 to 25 minutes. Cool cakes in pans 10 minutes, then turn out onto wire racks. Cool completely, at least 1 hour.FROSTING:
FOR THE FROSTING:
- 12 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter , cut into 12 pieces and softened
- 2 cups packed dark brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups sifted confectioners’ sugar
TO ASSEMBLE:Place 1 cake round on serving platter. Spread 3/4 cup frosting over cake, then top with second cake round. Spread remaining frosting evenly over top and sides of cake. Serve.
- 1Heat 8 tablespoons butter, brown sugar, and salt in large saucepan over medium heat until small bubbles appear around perimeter of pan, 4 to 8 minutes. Whisk in cream and cook until ring of bubbles reappears, about 1 minute. Off heat, whisk in vanilla.
- 2Transfer hot frosting mixture to bowl and, with electric mixer on low speed, gradually mix in confectioners’ sugar until incorporated. Increase speed to medium and beat until frosting is pale brown and just warm, about 5 minutes. Add remaining butter, 1 piece at a time, and beat until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes.
0 love it too:
Post a Comment