I don't even remember when I started this quilt. It was a class and I wasn't happy with it. The class description had said that the quilt was a 70inch square when in reality, it was a queen size quilt. Absolutely useless to me. And the store ran out of some of the fabrics for my kit; it was a disaster.
As a result, the quilt sat as a ufo. And sat. And sat. I had a client bring in a quilt from the same class; I loved how she had put hers together so I knew I had to get mine finished.
What I did differently was no sashing between the blocks. It makes the quilt smaller which makes it more useful in my opinion.
Because the store ran out of fabric, I didn't have enough for a border so I pieced together all the extra bits from the centers and made the border, and binding!!, from that.
With no sashing in the quilt, the intersections of the melons were huge lumps. And there was no way I was going to custom quilt this so I went with a meander and a grey/blue thread.
I love the quilt now. It's become our picnic/beach blanket. Now we just need summer to hang on a little longer so we can enjoy this quilt longer.