2. Whisk together all dry ingredients (everything before the butter) in a large mixing bowl.
3. Add remaining ingredients and mix on medium speed just until smooth. Do not over mix.
4. Fill cupcake liners about half way.
5. Bake 18-20 minutes.
6. Allow to cool for 1-2 minutes, then remove to cooling rack to finish cooling.
1. Place 1/2 cup of butter and brown sugar into a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave for about 30 seconds at a time, stirring after each interval, until the sugar is mostly dissolved, about 3 minutes. It'll boil and bubble up. Set caramel aside to cool.
2. Cream remaining 1/2 cup butter and cream cheese until smooth.
3. Add 3 cups powdered sugar and 1 tbsp milk or water to butter mixture and beat until smooth.
4. Pour caramel into icing and mix until smooth.
5. Add another 1-2 cups of powdered sugar.
6. Add molasses and milk or water, if needed, to reach desired icing consistency.